Sunday, September 14, 2008

Microwaved Apple Crisp

Back in the early 1980s, when Church of the Redeemer began serving vespers every Saturday evening, the choir began having dinner together afterwards every week, and eventually everyone would end up at my house for a movie or a game of trivial pursuit - and dessert with espresso! My 12 cup Bialetti stove top really got a work out! Those were very, very fun days. I never knew how many people would come over - it could be 4 or 6, or it could be 20, especially if "the boys" came over (now two of them are Fr. Theodore and Fr. Paul, but together with a few others, they were just "The Boys" back then). Although I'd prepare a dessert or two, there were times when there were more people than I expected, and I needed to make something quick and easy from foods I always had in my pantry. I had just purchased a brand spanking new microwave, so I developed a few microwave recipes to fit the bill - this is one that has remained a quick and easy family favorite. I remember doubling the recipe and cooking two pie plates worth, one after the other, on many occasions. Those were good times back on Mayflower Court as Marge and Taft's neighbors.

Microwaved Apple Crisp

2/3 C brown sugar, packed well
1/2 C all purpose white flour
1/2 C rolled oats
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/3 C vegan margerine (like Earth Balance), room temperature
4 - 5 large apples.

Put first five ingredients in a food processor fitted with the steel blade and pulse until well mixed and crumbly. Core and peel 4 - 5 apples, then slice them into an ungreased 10 inche microwavable quiche dish or 9" pie plate. Sprinkle the topping over all and microwave, uncovered, on high for 5 minutes. Test apples for doneness with a sharp knife, cooking for another minute if necessary. Scoop out into dessert dishes and serve with vanilla soy yogurt, or a scoop of vanilla vegan ice cream.

Time from apple to plate: about 15 minutes

Serves six without any topping, and eight if you serve with a big scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream.

Five stars!

Note: About the timing for this when you are in a real rush, take the margerine out first, slice it into pats and let it come to room temperature while you are peeling and slicing the apples. By the time you are through, the butter will be ready, and you can make the topping in no time flat. If you use unsalted margerine, you will need to add a pinch of salt to the topping, because it just seems flat without it - I often made this completely salt-free for my mother over the years, and the difference in flavor was very obvious.

1 comment:

Radhika Sarohia said...

I'm vegan with a sweet tooth. I made a sort of low carb version of this today, was good :-)