Sunday, September 14, 2008

Maple Oatmeal Bread

This is my favorite bread recipe - I think my New England roots are showing because its the maple flavor that I love so much. However, don't be fooled into thinking this is a sweet bread - its not a dessert by any means - it makes great sandwiches. This recipe originally came from the instruction booklet for my very first bread machine, about 16 or 17 years ago, a DAK which looked like R2D2 and made perfectly round loaves. I wore that machine out after a year making at least two loaves of bread a day. My Dad and my baby REALLY like homemade bread.

Maple Oatmeal Bread
1 pkg (or 2 1/2 tsp) yeast
1 1/4 C plus 1 Tbs warm water
1/3 C maple syrup
1 Tbs vegetable oil
3 C all purpose unbleached wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1 C plain, dry oatmeal

Put ingredients into your bread machine in the order suggested by the manufacturer. Use white bread setting and light or medium crust, and let 'er rip!

Makes 1 1/2 lb loaf

Note: Use a good quality flour - I always use King Arthur flour when I can get it here in the deep south. The recipe originally called for quick cooking oats, but I've successfully made this bread with long cooking oats as well. Do use real maple syrup if you have it, because the full bodied flavor it imparts cannot be beat. In a pinch, use maple flavored syrup and it will still taste yummy, or even substitute honey for a totally different flavor.

Five stars PLUS!

No comments: