Sunday, September 14, 2008

Clean Out the Fridge Soup


Yesterday when I opened the fridge at lunchtime, I saw a lot of little tupperware containers, all with just a few spoons of food. I was hungry, and dd was STARVING TO DEATH as she informed me, so lunch had to be quick and filling. I made soup from the leftovers.

This is what I did: I sauteed an onion in a dab of olive oil, with about 2 cloves of garlic, minced. While that was going, I took out all the little containers, and one by one, added them to the pot. They included about a cup of the tomato soup from last week, about 3/4 of a cup of the gado gado veggies (I chopped these up further so they would fit on a spoon, and a cup of a pasta-rice pilaf. The tomato soup didn't give enough liquid, so I added "enough", maybe a cup or two of part water and part wine. Then I added a few cubes of Knorr vegetarian bouillion (I'll be glad when these are gone because I like another brand better and the little cubes are a pain to unwrap), some salt and pepper, and a heaping teaspoon of Herbes de Provence. I let it all simmer for about 10 minutes or so.

While I was foraging in the fridge, I noticed that there was a half loaf of the maple oatmeal bread tightly wrapped, so we had slices of this yummy bread with the soup. What a yummy meal it made - we both had one huge bowl and a slice or two of bread. There was about 1/3 cup left, and our little doggie really enjoyed it for lunch as well!

For dinner, we ate the Arabic pilaf from the night before. There is still some more of that in the fridge - I think I'll probably use it to stuff something, once my check clears and I can go food shopping, that is!

Four stars!

Don't waste!

1 comment:

HEMANT said...

Amazing post thanks for sharing the post.Your blogs are admirable and full of knowledge.